Buchanan Elementary School
Built in 1885, Buchanan Elementary was a cornerstone of the Topeka's Tennessee Town Community. The Reverend Dr. Charles Sheldon opened Topeka's first free kindergarten in 1893 for the Tennessee Town neighborhood children. In 1910, the kindergarten moved to Buchanan Elementary School. Ten years later the school board enlarged and remodeled the school. By the time of the Brown v Board of Education lawsuit in the 1950's, Buchanan Elementary School was one of four elementary schools for African-American students in Topeka. The school closed in 1959
John and Charles Scott, who attended Buchanan School, represented 13 Topeka families in the Brown v Board of Education lawsuit.
- Topeka's Crossroads to Freedom
- African-American History
- Military History
- Topeka History