The USA Softball Class B16U and 18U Fast Pitch Northern National Championship is scheduled to take place at Shawnee North Sport Complex in Topeka, Kans., July 23-26. This Championship tournament, hosted by Shawnee County Parks + Recreation, Visit Topeka and USA Softball of Kansas, will operate under new health and safety guidelines that have been approved by Shawnee County Parks + Recreation and follow the recommendations from the Kansas Recreation and Parks Association to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
These guidelines include various regulations, such as:
- Spectators are required to practice social distancing (6 feet) while in the complex and be respectful to others. If they cannot keep 6 feet of distance from others, Spectators will be required to wear a mask while in the complex.
- Masks will be provided to anyone who requests one.
- Players, coaches and umpires will not be required to wear a mask while in the field of play. This includes dugouts and bullpens.
- SNCO staff will sanitize all dugouts, bleachers, tables and touch points throughout the complex between each game. Bathrooms will be sanitized and cleaned every other hour.
- Spectators will be encouraged to not sit on the bleachers or benches. They will be allowed and encouraged to bring their own seating and maintain social distancing with seating by sitting down both foul lines.
To view the entire list of guidelines, click here.
“Our highest priority is offering a healthy and safe environment for everyone involved in this tournament, as well as all our sporting events,” said Nate Greer, sports events manager, Shawnee County Park + Recreation. “While this year’s games may look different than years previous, the integrity and spirit of the sport will not be lost.”
“Visit Topeka applauds Shawnee County Parks + Rec’s all-out efforts to adapt to the current public health situation,” said Mike Bell, vice president of Visit Topeka. “We look forward to an exciting and safe game experience to be had by all. We also encourage those interested in the games to visit our USA Softball Page for more helpful information.”
The games will begin on Friday, July 24 at 8 a.m.
# # #
If you would like more information about this topic, please contact Jensen Simons at Jensen.Simons@TopekaPartnership.com.